After going to New York City a few years ago, a classic brick oven Margherita Pizza became my favorite thing in the world. We went here and absolutely loved it!
Unfortunately, I do not have a brick oven in my house – but how cool would that be? I don’t typically try to make Margherita Pizza at home, I save that for going out! However, I have been craving it and decided to make it grilled cheese style.
Full Disclosure: This blog uses affiliate links, where we may earn a small commission if you purchase an item through the link provided, at no extra cost to you!
Super Simple Ingredients
- Tomato Paste (or crushed tomatoes, if you don’t mind the texture)
- Bay Leaves
- Bread (I used Artisan Asiago Bread from Albertson’s)
- Fresh Mozzarella (Get from the deli or they have a packaged, pre-sliced option)
How To Put Together:
- Cut up bread to desired thickness. I preferred slices that were a little thicker but it was a little difficult to bite at first. Thinner slices will be much easier to eat, especially for children.
- On two pieces of bread, layer on tomato paste. Since I had thicker slices of bread, I used quite a bit. I like my pizza to be saucy anyways – I used around 4 tablespoons for just my sandwich.
- Place 3 bay leaves on one side and 2-3 slices of mozzarella on the other.
- I broiled mine on low for 5-6 minutes. You can also heat it up in a pan like this to get beautiful grill marks on the bottom. If so, cook on low-medium heat for 10-15 minutes until the cheese has melted.
- Let cool until it’s at a safe temperature to eat and tada, you have a very impressive grilled cheese sandwich!